Gibraltar rejects US request to seize Iranian oil tanker

Gibraltar on Sunday rejected a US demand to seize an Iranian oil tanker at the center of a diplomatic dispute as it prepared to leave the British overseas territory after weeks of detention.

Gibraltar’s government said it could not seek a court order to detain the supertanker because US sanctions against Iran were not applicable in the European Union.

“The EU sanctions regime against Iran — which is applicable in Gibraltar — is much narrower than that applicable in the US,” the Gibraltar authorities said in a statement.

A Gibraltar judge had ordered the Grace 1 tanker released on Thursday, weeks after authorities seized the vessel on suspicion of transporting oil to Syria in breach of European sanctions. Iran has repeatedly denied this.

But on Friday the US Justice Department filed a request to detain the ship alleging it was involved in supporting illicit shipments to Syria by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, listed as a terrorist group by Washington.

The seizure triggered a sharp deterioration in relations between Tehran and London. Iran subsequently detained the British-flagged tanker Stena Impero in what was seen as a tit-for-tat move.

The US Justice Department says the Grace 1 — now renamed the Adrian Darya — and its oil are subject to forfeiture because of US sanctions violations.

The vessel remains at anchor off Gibraltar, laden with 2.1 million barrels of Iranian light crude oil.

A new crew is expected to arrive and sail the tanker to an undisclosed destination as early as Sunday.

Ties between Tehran and Washington have frayed since US President Donald Trump withdrew last year from a landmark 2015 nuclear deal between major powers and Iran, reimposing crippling unilateral sanctions.

Source Article from https://www.timesofisrael.com/gibraltar-rejects-us-request-to-seize-iranian-oil-tanker/

Related Posts
Iran ‘Will Respond’ to October attack on tanker ‘At Appropriate Time And Place’

Radio Farda – Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on November 9 in Moscow

Iran accuses US, Israel, Saudi Arabia of targeting its oil tanker in Red Sea

Member of Iranian Parliament’s National Security Commission Abolfazl Hassan Beigi accused the US,

Iran blames alleged tanker attack on Israel, US and Saudis

A senior Iranian lawmaker on Wednesday blamed Israel, the United States and Saudi Arabia for

Iran denies tanker attacked in Red Sea keeps leaking

Press TV – Iran’s state-run operator of oil tankers has rejected media reports suggesting a

Hits: 32

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

*

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: Premium WordPress Themes | Thanks to Themes Gallery, Bromoney and Wordpress Themes