Iraqi Prime Minister Backs Off Expelling US Troops

By Jason Ditz

After repeated threats from President Trump to sanction Iraq, to seize its primary bank account, and cut all military aid, Iraqi PM Adel Abdul-Mahdi has backed away from calls to expel US troops from Iraq.

Iraq’s parliament voted 170-0 earlier this month on the ouster, though US officials have said they don’t intend to leave, and have denied actually being asked. Following the threats, Abdul-Mahdi now says he wants to leave the question up to the next government.

That could take some time. Abdul-Mahdi nominally resigned last month, and there is meant to be work on reforming election law and holding fresh elections, meant to placate the anti-government protesters. There is no timetable for any of this, however, and efforts seem to have all but stopped since the US attack on Baghdad Airport.

The US had cut joint operations with Iraq shortly thereafter, fearing they’d quickly get into fighting after that. The US has announced they are resuming cooperation starting Wednesday, however.

US sanctions could quickly bankrupt Iraq, especially if Trump seized the bank account holding all their oil revenue, which is 90% of their budget. At the same time, not expelling the US after parliament already voted to do so could have major consequences for Iraqi sovereignty, and will likely be addressed again.


By Jason Ditz / Republished with permission / ANTIWAR.COM / Report a typo

Subscribe to Activist Post for truth, peace, and freedom news. Become an Activist Post Patron for as little as $1 per month at Patreon. Follow us on SoMee, Flote, Minds, Twitter, and Steemit.

Provide, Protect and Profit from what’s coming! Get a free issue of Counter Markets today.

Source Article from http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ActivistPost/~3/qZC0oY18m2o/iraqi-prime-minister-backs-off-expelling-us-troops.html

Related Posts
US ‘brain injury’ numbers a cover-up for dead US troops in Iranian missile strike – IRGC

  The spokesman for the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps has said that Washington's alleged numbers of

Syrian Troops Demine 15% of Maarat Al-Numan, Israeli Bombs Found in Idlib

February 12, 2020 Source Syrian army troops cleared roughly 15 percent of the Maarat Al-Numan city

SYRIANS GIVE WARM WELCOME TO ERDOGAN TROOPS ATTACKING SARAQIB

Syrians Give Warm Welcome To Erdogan Troops Attacking Saraqib South Front During the last few

Turkey reinforces troops in Syria’s Idlib amid talks with Russia

Press TV – Turkey has further reinforced its troops in Syria’s Idlib province, ratcheting up

Hits: 13

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

*

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: Premium WordPress Themes | Thanks to Themes Gallery, Bromoney and Wordpress Themes