Suspected gunman shot dead in front of police station

Sydney shooting

A man in a car was shot dead by police in northern Sydney yesterday. The shooting took place outside a Castle Hill police station. Picture: Isabella Lettini
Source: The Daily Telegraph

Castle Hill Shooting

NSW police officers during the tense standoff in Castle Hill in northern Sydney that resulted in one man being gunned down in the driver’s seat of his car. Picture: AAP
Source: AAP

HUNDREDS of lunchtime shoppers, high school students and young children looked on in horror yesterday as a man was killed during a shootout with police in the middle of a busy shopping district in Sydney’s northwest.

The man, said to be in his 30s, reportedly opened fire on three plain-clothes officers just before 1pm. Some witnesses said they saw police respond with several shots as the man sat behind the wheel of his silver Toyota Hilux.

The incident took place about 60m from the front entrance of Castle Hill police station and within clear sight of the local library, a cafe, and a large shopping centre.

Police said they responded to a triple-0 call reporting that a man was allegedly armed with a gun while sitting in a vehicle.

The three officers arrived at the scene moments later and were confronted by the man who was allegedly waving an object from inside his van.

Alex Thompson, 17, was studying with three of her friends in the library across the road when she saw the event unfold.

“I just saw three guys running over to the intersection dressed in suits and showing their badges. They then dropped them, drew their pistols and started firing,” she told The Australian.

Her friend Richard Armour said he saw the man in the car waving something before the police fired shots.

“I’m not sure what it was, but the guy in the window looked like he was waving something. After the shots were fired the police reached into the car and removed a gun and placed it on the road,” he said.

Last night, the man had yet to be identified but he was believed to be aged in his 30s.

Assistant Police Commissioner Denis Clifford said it remained unclear how many shots were fired, and by whom.

Police officers closed off sections of Castle and Pennant streets while the investigation took place yesterday, causing traffic delays that left people stranded in their cars for hours as they tried to leave the area.

Police were last night still searching for the person who made the emergency call.

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: Premium WordPress Themes | Thanks to Themes Gallery, Bromoney and Wordpress Themes